Great Western American Adventure (Summer 2020)
Brochure Type: 2020 USA & Canada
From glorious cities to wine country, dramatic canyons and coastal towns, this 15 day trip allows you to see the highlights of America's West in a concise but enriching manner. Along the way you'll discover the bohemian charms of San Francisco and Sonoma and the wonders of Bryce Canyon National Park, all while staying in a number of lodges within the National Parks. Don't forget to bring your camera to star studded Hollywood. What better place to spot an icon than in the movie capital?
- San Francisco: Enjoy a delightful Welcome Dinner with your fellow travellers and Travel Director.
- Santa Barbara: Savour a delicious dining experience at one of sunny Santa Barbara's local restaurants.
- Grand Canyon: Enjoy dinner with an incredible view at the Thunderbird Room, overlooking the South Rim.
- Dining Summary: 14 Breakfasts (B) and 7 Dinners with wine (DW).
- San Francisco: Revisit the 'Summer of Love' with a Local Expert and former hippie at Haight-Ashbury, the iconic district where the hippie counterculture evolved.
- Los Angeles: Join a Local Expert for a behind-the-scenes tour of a historic downtown theatre.
- Grand Canyon: Join Local Expert Canyon Tim for an informative presentation and witness the burnt orange hues of the canyon walls.
- Monument Valley: Join a Navajo guide in an open-air vehicle to explore the iconic vistas of this Navajo Tribal Park.
- San Francisco: Timeless yet modern, The Westin St. Francis on Union Square, San Francisco has a vibrant, directly located on Union Square, with cable cars stopping just outside the doors.
- Yosemite National Park: Stay in the park and enjoy Yosemite after the crowds have left, just a short walk to Yosemite Falls.
- Monterey: Located on Cannery Row, InterContinental The Clement Monterey is a beautiful waterfront hotel in California, overlooking Monterey Bay.
- Santa Barbara: Stay at the Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort. Enjoy beautiful views and a serene stay right on the beach.
- Los Angeles: Stay at the InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown situated within walking distance of the city's most noteworthy attractions.
- Scottsdale: Experience Hotel Valley Ho, a mid-century modern oasis in the heart of Downtown Scottsdale with plenty of amenities and nearby attractions.
- Grand Canyon: Insight stays centrally located within the National Park. In these cases, the hotels are much more rustic and typical of the natural environment.
- Lake Powell: We guarantee rooms with lake-views, picture-perfect vistas and breathtaking sunsets at Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas.
- Zion National Park: Stay in rustic charming lodges, located right inside the National Park.
- Las Vegas: The luxurious Caesars Palace on the iconic Vegas Strip offers restaurants, nightlife, relaxation, and entertainment. It's distinct style is a tribute to Rome's opulence.
- San Francisco: See the iconic cable cars, Union Square and Golden Gate Bridge.
- Sonoma: Browse the unique shops on the historic Sonoma Plaza.
- Yosemite National Park: Experience the park's natural beauty and wildlife. See the El Capitan and Half Dome rock formations.
- San Joaquin Valley: Stop at a historic fruit stand where seasonal delights are grown, farmed, and sold.
- Carmel-by-the-Sea: Browse the art galleries and shops in this quaint beach city.
- Scenic Drives: 17-Mile Drive past the Pebble Beach Golf Links.
- Los Angeles: Drive along Sunset Boulevard, see the Hollywood Walk of Fame and TCL Chinese Theatre.
- Sedona: Visit this Red Rock Country artists' colony, set in Sedona's majestic red rock landscape.
- Cameron: Stop at the historic Trading Post, established in the early 1900s as a place where Native American's traded wool and livestock.
- Lake Powell: A testament to the power of water over rock, glide through the narrow sandstone turns of Antelope Canyon during your cruise.
- Glen Canyon: Visit the dam that stands 710 feet or 216 meters high, and provides water and power to western communities.
- Bryce Canyon National Park: Enjoy the rugged beauty with a leisurely walk along Sunset Point to view the hoodoos.
- Zion National Park: The most relaxing and informative way to see the grandeur and natural features of the canyon is by a private shuttle that includes live commentary.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2020
- 15 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||San Francisco||San Francisco, the City by the Bay.: California here we come. A mix of modern glamour and bohemian charms, you've arrived in the Golden Gate City, a location famous for its rolling hills, colourful houses and eclectic architecture. You'll be picked up at San Francisco International Airport and whisked straight to your hotel. Join your Travel Director and fellow travellers at 18:00 for a Welcome Dinner with wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Hyatt Regency Embarcadero, San Francisco.
|Day 2||San Francisco||Exploring San Francisco.: Hop aboard an iconic cable car for a ride along the picturesque streets. Visit the Conservatory of Flowers and Golden Gate Park, before walking across the emblematic Golden Gate Bridge and travelling on to the city of Sausalito. A scenic ferry ride will bring you back to San Francisco, where your afternoon is at leisure. (Breakfast)|
|Day 3||San Francisco||San Francisco to Yosemite National Park.: Travelling through California's Gold Country, you'll drive through the imposing Sierra Nevada mountains. Today you'll witness the mountainous scenery of Yosemite National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, on a private, ranger-led valley floor tour.The park is abundant in wildlife, so look out for Mule deer, and if you're lucky you may catch a glimpse of a black bear. Rest up on your free evening at Yosemite Valley Lodge, located inside the park and close to Yosemite Falls, North America's highest waterfall. On a clear evening you'll be able to take in the sparkling night sky over the park. (Breakfast)|
Yosemite Valley Lodge.
|Day 4||Monterey||Yosemite National Park to Monterey.: Move on to Monterey. On your way, stop at the Merced Fruit Barn. In Salinas, enjoy a farmer's tour of a local farm, known for heirloom artichokes. Arrive at your hotel on Cannery Row. (Breakfast)|
InterContinental The Clement Monterey.
|Day 5||Monterey||Monterey, the Cradle of History.: Today you'll journey to Carmel-by-the-Sea, a quaint seaside community where you'll have ample free time.There you will have the opportunity to browse a range of art galleries, local shops and the chance to stock up on souvenirs. Enjoy a relaxing drive across the Monterey Peninsula and along 17-Mile Drive, where you can take in the stunning ocean views, Pebble Beach Golf Links and multi-million dollar mansions. A Dine-Around Evening awaits upon your return to Monterey. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 6||Santa Barbara||The American Riviera.: Experience a guided tour and wine tasting at a Paso Robles winery, en route to Santa Barbara. Walk along Santa Barbara's Historic State Street to Stearns Wharf. Check in to your idyllic beachfront hotel, ideal for making the most of your stay along the grand 'American Riviera'. You'll be presented with white buildings, terracotta rooves, beautiful weather and an array of bars and restaurants. In the evening, dinner awaits at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort.
|Day 7||Los Angeles||Santa Monica and the City of Angels.: No trip to Santa Barbara would be complete without a visit to the iconic Mission Santa Barbara. Here you'll learn about the chain of 21 missions along California's El Camino Real and explore its blooming grounds. A Local Expert will take you on a walking tour of Venice Beach, Muscle Beach, and the canals. Arrive at your modern L.A. hotel. (Breakfast)|
InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown.
|Day 8||Los Angeles||The Glitz and Glam of L.A.: Today you'll ride the Angel's Flight Railway. Later, a Local Expert will treat you to an exclusive and private guided visit of the Los Angeles Theatre. Visit Hollywood and Highland Centre, see TCL Chinese Theatre and Sunset Strip before walking along Rodeo Drive. Enjoy an Insight Choice between a visit to the Petersen Automotive Museum or the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. Tonight, your Highlight Dinner is at Nick and Stef's Steakhouse. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 9||Scottsdale||Across the Mojave to Scottsdale.: Experience the rugged charms of the Mojave Desert wilderness as you make your way to Scottsdale. Look out for the Joshua trees and wildlife found in the National Park, you might just spot a jackrabbit or coyote. Once in Scottsdale you can relax in the hotel after a long day and replenish for your upcoming adventures. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Valley Ho, Scottsdale.
|Day 10||Grand Canyon||Sedona and the Wonders of the Mighty Grand Canyon.: Journey north to the bohemian colony of Sedona. Attractive to healers, this spiritual town's vortexes are rumoured to offer alternative medicines and practices. If retail therapy is more your thing, explore Sedona's shops and galleries, or simply take in its natural rugged beauty, which makes it a hotspot for hikers, swimmers and eager campers. Journey on to Grand Canyon National Park, where you have the opportunity to take an optional, once-in-a-lifetime, flightseeing tour by helicopter or plane. Join Local Expert Canyon Tim for an informative and exclusive talk about the wonders of the Grand Canyon before ending your day with a tranquil night inside the park and an appetizing Highlight Dinner with wine in the inviting Thunderbird Room of your lodge. Located on the South Rim, this beautiful venue offers a wet-bar, barbeque and private balcony, so you can feast on hearty food while taking in the stunning views. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
National Park Lodges, Grand Canyon.
|Day 11||Lake Powell||Monument Valley and Lake Powell.: Head through striking crimson landscapes to the historic Cameron Trading Post where you will find Native American arts and crafts. Journey on through the barren beauty of the desert to Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, where you will board all-terrain vehicles (8) to explore the valley with your Navajo guide. Stop at the Glen Canyon Dam to learn about its impact on the Colorado River before arriving at your lakefront resort. (Breakfast)|
Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas (Lake View or Marina View Rooms).
|Day 12||Lake Powell||Leisurely Lake Powell.: Your morning is at leisure. Simply relax and enjoy the resort's facilities or enjoy some extra time to catch up with your fellow travellers. Later today, a serene cruise through the narrow sandstone turns of Antelope Canyon awaits. End the day with a breathtaking sunset from your lake view or marina view room. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 13||Zion National Park||Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks.: Head to the sandstone cliffs of Bryce Canyon National Park in Southern Utah. Here you will be met by pine trees and red rock pillars. You'll take a leisurely walk along Sunset Point to view the great amphitheatres of the odd-shaped monoliths, known as hoodoos, before travelling through more amazing scenery to the lush cliff-and-canyon landscape of Zion National Park. A day of sightseeing deserves some evening festivities. Join your Travel Director and new friends for a Celebration Dinner and wine to discuss your take on the ethereal characters of Utah's famous canyon. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Zion National Park Lodge.
|Day 14||Las Vegas||Zion to Las Vegas, From Nature to Neon.: Depart the tranquil ambiance of Zion National Park Lodge and board a private Zion Canyon Shuttle. Live commentary will take you through the scenic highlights of the park, followed by some downtime to explore on your own. Depart the natural beauty of the park to arrive in the bright lights and glamour of Las Vegas. With an array of shopping malls, live shows and dining opportunities, this dazzling destination is sure to entertain. And for those looking to hit the casinos, make sure you come with your poker face ready. (Breakfast)|
Caesars Palace, Las Vegas.
|Day 15||Las Vegas||Depart Las Vegas.: It's time to say goodbye to your fellow travellers as your adventure comes to an end with a departure transfer to Las Vegas International Airport. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Itineraries, durations, hotels and inclusions may vary. Please inquire at the time of booking. For activities marked with a (8) in the day-by-day itinerary, participation is at your own risk and a signed liability waiver will be required.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class
From $5,595.00 (USD)
Tour Type: Discovery TripBrochure Type: 2020 USA & CanadaFrom glorious cities to wine country, dramatic canyons and coastal towns, this 15 day trip allows you to see the highlights of America's West in a concise but enriching manner.